Monday, May 20, 2013

Letter(s) of Hope - Part 2

Part of being a missionary is struggling with how to help people. This is especially hard for people who naturally love to help people. It is hard to see all the people struggling and in need and not be able to do something about it. The need is so great and my available resources are so little. 

In addition to their physical needs, there is an even greater need that must be met. Not only do people need food, shelter, and clothing...they also need something even greater. 

They need Jesus!!
 
 The bottom line is that being here has been overwhelming at times. I have sometimes found myself numb to the reality of what my eyes and heart were seeing. I began to feel like there was nothing I could do for them, so I just stopped thinking about it. I know that sounds awful, but that is the reality of being surrounded by it constantly. There were ALWAYS days and moments when I couldn't escape it. Moments where I couldn't help but give whatever I had on me to those sweet, dirty faces that relentlessly said "Madam...Madam...Madam"  The realization is that meeting that temporary need is the least of the issue.

They still needed Jesus!!
 
So you just pray that God will awaken them to their need for Him. You rest in the power of His pursuit and know that if He wants them...He will make a way.

However, God has allowed me to do more than that for one family. He has allowed me to invest in them and share Christ with them. It has been such an awesome opportunity to love them and be Jesus to them. While Berthine (the mom) claims to know Jesus, I am not sure how deep that knowledge is. 

As I mentioned in the first post, the language barrier makes communication so difficult. So I began to write letter to Berthine in hopes of connecting with her and ultimately pointing her to Jesus. I wrote my first letter to her and have had the blessing of getting to know this sweet family. They are struggling. They are poor...very poor. Circumstances in their lives are very hard. 

I found out they are actually a family of six. 4 daughters and the mom and dad. Her name is Berthine. She is beautiful and loves her girls. She works hard to put food on the table and keep them in school. Her husband has no job and her income is so low. She makes about 8 US Dollars a week. Yes..that is $32 dollars a month. Her kids have school fees that could equal around $12 dollars a month. They live in half of a tiny house and pay around $6-$8 dollars a month for it. That sounds so cheap...but it is so hard for them most months. They have 5 mouths to feed (the youngest is under a year and get her nutrients from her mommy :) ). They have ratty clothes and no running water. No toilet...no bedrooms...no fridge. They all sleep on a twin size bunk bed.  I could go on...but I think you understand. 

They are poor. 
 
That house I talked about....is no longer going to be a place for them to live soon. They got word from the landlord that the house was sold, and they would have to vacate as soon as the new owner took over. They have no where to go. In addition to this family, there are about 2 or 3 other families crammed into the other half of the house.  So there will be about 4 families without a house. 

I believe with all my heart that they were here outside my gate for a purpose. An eternal purpose. In one of my letters I asked her if she owned a Bible. She did not. She now has the Word of God in her own language. I marked several places to read and challenged her to read it daily. 

She has very little education. Somewhere between 3rd to 5th grade she was unable to attend school anymore. Her parents were poor as well and just couldn't afford it. So she just got married. The cycle continues. She has 4 children to put through school and it is a struggle just to pay the fees. If they don't pay the fees...they don't go to school. If they don't go to school...the cycle continues. The job that Berthine has is to clean a lady's house and wash her clothes. She also takes care of her yard and takes her garbage out. All of that for $8 dollars a week. She is unable to find another job because she has no education. The cycle. So apart from the desire for them to all know Christ. I want to make sure these girls get a good education. I want them to break the cycle. 

So I have exactly 7 days left to love on them and see them everyday. I have 7 days to figure out how I am going to make sure they have enough money to keep them in school. It is hard...so hard. They have such an overwhelming need and all that is in me wants to meet them all. I can buy them land and build them a house similar to what they have now for around $7,000. So little when compared to the states. However, I don't have $7,000 and won't be here to see that it is built. I want to make sure they have school fees but have no way of knowing how to make sure of that. I will be across the world from them. 

So I am praying that God will give wisdom and work out the details. I am praying that above all of these earthly possessions that they need....they will know and love the God who created them. I am praying that they will seek him for all their needs. I am praying for their marriage as it appears it is struggling. And I am asking you to pray with me! 

It is not just chance that this tiny village house is in the middle of a big house community. It is obvious it is out of place and the new owners are likely going to put a large house where this small house sits. I believe this tiny house and this precious family were there because God has big plans for them. I believe the purpose this house was "out of place" was so that I could really SEE them! Those babies have been a joy to see everyday. I have been able to see a look of fear across May's (their 3 year old) when I played with the,...to a huge smile and excitement when I interact with them. It makes my heart burst every time! 

Well...I think this post is long enough. :) Thank you once again for all the prayers and support for me while I am here. The next time I write will likely be as I prepare to leave. It is so crazy to think it is already time to go home. I am SOOOOO excited to see everyone...but part of my heart will be here in Mada. The life of a missionary is a hard one...but also the most rewarding one. So thankful God chose me to carry out this task on foreign soil. He is good!! Always good!!

See you soon :) 

Love Loves! <3 br="">
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment