Monday, May 13, 2013

Ministry Update

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to write a new update! Things have been so busy and we have just been exhausted most days. We have now started to slow down a bit and begin preparing to leave. It is crazy to think we will be gone in exactly two weeks. In 14 days I will be packing the last of my things into my bags to head back to my home Country. While American is my "home" a piece of my heart will always be in Africa. I have had the amazing privilege to become friends with some great people here in Madagascar. I can't believe I have to leave them soon. However, I am so incredibly happy to see those I love so dearly on the other side of the world. What a bittersweet feeling. 

As I am preparing to leave and begin thinking about my transition back to "normal" life....I begin to feel a small bit of anxiety. While I am so completely happy to see everyone...I still have worries and fears about what it will be like. I don't like the unknown...I don't like not knowing what it is going to be like. I hear people tell me that it is reverse culture shock and that it will take adjusting. There are all kinds of fears and what ifs that Satan loves to put in my head. But thankfully I have people in my life who constantly show me that I am in the hands of a God who will be with me every step. I am reminded as I type this of my first culture shock experience. I blogged about it here. I remember how God taught me to fully rely on Him and stop trusting in my ever failing self. I have a feeling...if I am ready and listening...He has something He wants me to learn from the other end of this culture shock thing. Such a humbling experience when God points out the constant need for Him! I am thankful He chooses to work in someone like me. 

Well...as I said..I planned to update everyone on our (Ashley and I's) ongoing ministry here in Mada. We are down to our last three sessions and will be done with our last on on May 23rd. It has been such a unique opportunity. In our short time here we have seen and been apart of so many different settings. We have had the great opportunity to go to some villages and share God's truth. I think those were our favorite ones. We also were able to go to many churches and reaffirm what so many of them knew...but struggle with. And we were able to go to many schools and universities. I must say those were probably our most challenging. Most of them were unbelievers and behaved as such. But we were always encouraged and reminded that God's truth was going forth...and most of the time...to hearts that were in great need of hearing it. I think I gave our total in one of my last updates when we were about halfway into our time here. It has been incredible to see how much more we have been able to do since then. We have now done 39 sessions, spoken to 2,414 young people, and had 1,674 commit. Not only did all these young people hear what God says about abstinence...they also heard the Gospel....which is the most important thing!! 

I am humbled and in awe that God would choose me to do such a task. I am thankful for this opportunity and look forward to the next step. Even though I will be in the States...my mission is just beginning. I can't wait to get back and tell everyone I see what a great God I live for!! 

For those wanting an update on the letter story...stay tuned!! I have been able to write a few letters back and forth and am praying for wisdom in how to best show Jesus to them. Please pray with me about that! The mom has said that she is a believer, but I am not sure to what extent. I am giving her a Bible as they don't have one. I will give more details soon...but for now just pray for them with me!! Thank you so much!!

Please pray for Ashley and I as we prepare to say goodbyes and hellos in a few weeks. We will leave here on May 28th and be in Johannesburg for a few days before heading home on the 31st and landing on the 1st. 

Thank you again for all your prayers and support!! It means the world to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment